Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tuesday Press Conference – Part 1

Football

Coach Mark Richt

On whether he would remind the Georgia team about other FBS teams losing to FCS teams:

The closer we get to the game I probably will. My main goal right now is today we have a lot of energy in practice and that we focus on improving. We just have done enough little things that become big things that we have to make sure we make those corrections. I actually added an extra correction period just to say, you go by position and you might have covered it in film and showed them during the game, but I want you to physically remind them in some form of a drill or some form of emphasis to even if you just correct one thing by segment, that’s nine things that we get corrected that will hopefully get better as the season goes on. When the week gets toward the end you start thinking a little bit more about the motivation for the game, not so much the motivation of the practice. Those things usually get brought up.

On if he has been to Idaho:

Never been to Idaho.

On if Idaho State seems like an improbable opponent:

They really are. I guess (UGA Associate Athletic Director) Arthur Johnson was in the middle of that and I’m sure he asked me about it. I don’t remember how long ago it was decided. Some of those things kind of happen fast. That is a long way to go. They have played some really outstanding BCS conference teams over the last couple of years. I’m sure part of it is just the revenue that they will generate from it is part of the reason while they’ll come that far. I’m sure it makes sense for them financially.

On playing non-conference games against FCS schools:

I know that every time you play a BCS conference team it does take a lot of energy, it takes a lot of emotion. Not to say this won’t, but if every single out-of-conference game was a BSC opponent, we know our league is rough enough as it is, so I don’t know if we need to be doing that.

On the travel involved with non-conference games:

It’s tough. I’ll say this, if we were going to Idaho, that would be tough. The travel is tough. It does take a toll on you. I guess the thing about the BCS games are rarely do you get a BCS team just to come and visit you and you don’t have to go back to their place. I think the travel itself is one of the biggest deterrents in my mind in doing the BSC home and away. If you fly through the night, it certainly doesn’t help you. It’s hard to get your sleep patterns back the way they should be. It’s definitely much easier on our team to play a home game like we are now rather than to go to Arizona or go to Colorado or go to Oklahoma like we did with Oklahoma State. That’s tougher on your team to do.

On Georgia’s scheduling of non-conference games and the cancellation of the games with Oregon:

We feel like if we can get in the SEC Championship game, that spreads the brand good enough. What more do you need than that? I’m not sitting here saying that that was necessarily a bad idea, because when the idea came up I agreed to it, and it didn’t seem like a bad idea. The toughest part of that whole deal was just living out the travel of it. When you have those games sandwiched between two SEC games, I don’t think it’s healthy for your team to go play at South Carolina, then go to Arizona and fly through the night, then the next week you have Tennessee or Arkansas, or whoever it might be. If you’re going to battle, you’d like to be as prepared and well-rested as you can be.

On getting Georgia’s younger players involved in the next three games:

My focus is to win these games. Play the best players. If its freshmen that’s good too.

On whether Brent Benedict, Kolton Houston and Austin Long will be ready for spring practice:

Brent we think yes, Kolton is already working, and Long is already working, so we do think they will all be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment