Thursday, September 29, 2011

Tuesday Press Conference–Part 3

FOOTBALL

Quarterback Aaron Murray

On Bruce Figgins…

We pretty much have a tight end body at fullback right now. We have a guy who can catch the ball and he knows what to do with it once it’s in his hands. It’s not like most fullbacks, who grew up just blocking with a catch here and there. He’s grown up with the ball in his hands, making receptions at tight end and we feel very comfortable releasing him out in the field and getting open. He’s done a great job with the ball in his hands, he’s picked up some pretty good yards.

On starting quick and scoring first in every game…

I think it comes down to our tempo in practice, how hard we’re practicing, how much extra time guys are putting in to study film and just executing better. The past few weeks we’ve definitely executed better when it comes to blocking, route running and things like that. We’ve just done a tremendous job at understanding the game plan and executing come game day.

On last year’s Mississippi State game…

We weren’t having the best start to the season last year. We weren’t on the right path and it was definitely a big upset for us, to feel like our chances of winning the SEC were slipping out of our hands last season. Right now we’re still 1-1, we feel like we’re still contenders in the East. This is a big game; all SEC games are big. They’re a very talented team offensively and defensively. They’re going to come out there and try to hit us. They’re 0-2 in the league and they’re wanting their first win. They’re hungry and we just have to go out there and match their intensity.

Tight End Orson Charles

On last year’s Mississippi State game…

I was very upset because I felt like we gave them the game. We had a couple of fumbles that we didn’t show early on this year and I’m very happy of that. We have a mature running back like Isaiah that can touch the ball thirty times and not have a fumble. Something I remember from that game was just being very disappointed because I walked off the field knowing that we should have won that game and I felt like I could have done something better in order for Georgia to win.

On the importance of winning this week…

We need to realize our dreams and hopes are still alive. Beating Ole Miss last week, we’ve just seen a lot more people smiling and we’re not used to seeing that right now. I want to keep that feeling. Me being a captain, I want to make sure my team is involved and keeps that feeling around.

On Georgia’s tight end’s role…

We understand our role. Against South Carolina, we didn’t catch a ball so we knew we had to dig down and block. There are certain games where our role is to block all game. If we win, when we win, I’ll be just as happy if I caught ten balls or a hundred passes. There is some time that will be open and Aaron will throw the ball and there is some time where we’ll just do what Coach Bobo says and execute that.

Linebacker Chase Vasser

On Mississippi State…

Mississippi State always plays us tough. It is a really physical team and we have to make sure that we play physical against them too. We need to focus on not backing down and to remember that if we get beat on one play, we need to forget about it and move on to the next one.

On Mississippi State quarterback Chris Relf…

Chis Relf is a very athletic player and Mississippi State can do a lot with him. We have to make sure that we contain him and not let him get out in the open. If he gets out in the open, he has the ability make a lot of plays.

On if this is a must win game…

All SEC games are must wins. Last year they beat us and were really physical with us and we remember that. We want to go out there and do the same to them.

On the Georgia defense…

The defense has some momentum going into this week. We have gotten better each week and we want to make sure that we keep getting better. Everyday in practice, we need to get better, learn their offense and know how to line up so that we can execute our game play properly.”

Defensive End Abry Jones

On his improvement from last year to this year…

I think just having another year on the defense has made me better. I am trying to go out there and make plays for my teammates. I know that the defensive line is a big aspect to the type of defense that we are trying to have, so I am trying to put a lot of weight on my shoulders to go out there and play well.

On his numbers…

I think it’s everyone’s goal to put up some big numbers, but I like what I am doing right now. I like being first on the team in some categories, so I’d like to push my numbers up a little bit.

On Mississippi State’s offense…

Mississippi State has a great offense and I think they really utilize their star players well. I think Relf does a great job of running their offense and finding holes in the defense so that he can get the yards that he needs.

On defending against the Mississippi State offense…

We just have to take the coaching that our coaches give us and just do our job. We don’t have to be superheroes and do everyone else’s job. We need to contain their players and wrap him up.

No comments:

Post a Comment