Saturday, October 28, 2017

Post Game Quotes

UGA Sports Communications

Kirby Smart

Opening Statement: 

“I thought we came out with a really good demeanor and a good attitude. Throughout the game, the kids had a really good focus. They were not distracted by streaks and those kinds of things. They focused on the task at hand and got it done.”

On the offense's ability to move the ball: 

“I think that speaks to a few things — first a great game plan by Jim Chaney. It was also a commitment from the offensive line. It think it surprised them early and we shocked them a little bit, so it was good to see that.”

On the defense making a stop after the Jake Fromm interception:

“That was great. Jake just made a freshman mistake. The defense came out and held them, and I thought that was a turning point.” 

On any improvements the team needs to make: 

“We want to play to a certain standard all the time. Every possession is an opportunity to get better. Defensively, you have to tackle better. Offensively, it’s more about execution. We show them the things they do well. Then, we show them the things they did not do well. We have an opportunity to get better, and we will continue to improve down the stretch.”

On the upcoming game against South Carolina: 

“They have a great program. Will (Muschamp) does a great job. It’s the way of the SEC — Humility is just a week away.” 

On the crowd: 

“I just want to say thanks to all the fans who came out and stayed out to the end. Also, the city of Jacksonville did a great job. Our guys feel the difference when the crowd gets into it, and I just want to say thank you to Dawg Nation.”

Junior Linebacker Roquan Smith 

On Jake Fromm’s leadership: 

“It’s big time. I face him each and every day in practice and I’ve seen in in the game. It is nothing new to me. I tip my hat to the offense and the offensive line that opens up those holes for the backs and make things happen.”

On the defense: 

“We pride ourselves on offenses not scoring because if you can’t score, you can’t win. The second team got in there and didn’t take advantage of a few things, but it is okay. We can clean up a few things and come back to work next week and improve.”

Senior Running Back Sony Michel   

On team cohesiveness: 

“We are just keeping the circle tight. Once you start the playing for each other you start having fun and you start winning.” 

On team’s success: 

“I would say it is the way we prepare. Our defense gives us the best look. We knew we were going to run the ball well and we capitalized on that. We are winning now and it is exciting. We are going to enjoy this one and then get ready to go back to work.”

Senior Linebacker Lorenzo Carter     

On his last trip to Georgia/Florida: 

“Going across that bridge, it really hit me. It made me realize it and really take advantage of it. Next time I come across that bridge I’ll be a fan. It meant a lot to win. It was one of the reasons why I had to come back. We came out there and played hard and I can’t ask for more.” 

On mental toughness and facing Florida: 

“It is a faceless opponent. We come out and get the scouting report on Mondays and we go through it and know whom we are playing but at the end of the day it comes down to what we do. It is us competing against ourselves.”

Senior Wide Receiver Javon Wims 

On the rivalry:  

“We understand it is a great rivalry. The way we practiced this whole week and the bye week, we practiced hard. We were expecting nothing less. We dominated from the beginning.” 

On importance of a quick start: 

“It is great momentum. The defense gets out there and works hard. They get three-and-outs and shutouts for us in order to get the ball back. We just try to capitalize to get that momentum.”

Florida Head Coach Jim McElwain

Opening Statement: 

“Obviously it didn’t turn out the way we wanted. They jumped on us early. I thought our guys hung in. Would’ve liked to have been able to punch that one in during the first half. Getting the turnover in the second quarter or right after half, I thought that was something that was really good.”

“Hats off to them. They played their tails off. Our kids played our tails off too, and you know what, I still like these guys. I still like this team. They’re a bunch of hard-working young men, and you know, we put a plan together, had an opportunity to go out and win and didn’t win. At the end of the day, that’s really what it’s all about.”

On the distractions off the field and their impact: 

“You know it’s hard to tell. I thought our guys prepared well all week. Obviously, I was made aware of the stuff right before we walked into pregame meal and that was the first time I had heard anything of that nature. I talked to them immediately right there, and we’ll see, that’s the first I’ve heard of it.”

On his concern for his job security: 

“Well I mean at the end of the day, we all were brought here to win, and we haven’t done it. My concern isn’t about my job. My concern is about these players and our staff. We’ve got a fantastic staff, coaches, support staff and their families. That’s the concern, you know it isn’t about me.” 

On coming back from the blowout loss: 

“It was a blowout, and something I’m not proud of, and yet, you know how you rebound when something doesn’t go right, you certainly don’t run the other way and you come back to work and get ready to go play this game next week. It’s going to be an early start and something we have to prepare through the week for.”

Redshirt Freshman QB Feleipe Franks 

On two fourth down plays: 

“I love Coach Mac (McElwain). I thought it was a good job by (the coaches) to trust the offense on fourth down and it’s on us to produce. If they’re going to have faith in us, we have to have faith in each other to get it done.”

What’s the goal for November: 

“We have to keep on playing. We have a bunch of big games ahead of us. One thing we’re not going to do is point fingers and complain. We cannot live in the past, we have to live in the now. We are going to regroup and get to work this week. Guys work their tails off every week and we are going to keep on getting better and better.”

Biggest reason for offensive struggles: 

“There are a lot of things we can improve on. We definitely are not going to fold or bow our heads. We are going to keep on continuing to work.”

Communication Issue: 

“Georgia did a good job. I can do a better job being louder and making sure they (the offense) hear my voice and not the defense. I put all of that on my back. It all boils down to me, and I have to do a better job. I’m not going to fold and lose confidence. That’s part of my position (quarterback) and that’s why I love it.”

Sophomore DB Chauncey Gardner 

On UF’s performance on defense: 

“Georgia just executed their game plan. They did what they had to do. We just have to keep playing ball. We’re not going to hang our heads on this. We have another game next week and we’re going to bounce back and do what we have to do.”

On going down 21-0 so early in the game: 

“It was a shocker. We knew they could put up points but not in that short of a time. It is what it is. We just have to move on and play the next game.

On where the team goes from here: 

“You have to keep going, keep pushing. We can’t shut each other out, we’re a team. We stand behind Coach Mac, he stands behind us and this program stands behind us; we’re going to keep playing football and outsiders are going to be outsiders. We’re not going to worry about them. We’re just going to keep doing what we have to do.” 

On whether the season is out of reach: 

“We’re not really about, ‘Is this out of reach?’ There is a lot of football left. We have a lot of young guys and I told them ‘There is more football. Don’t hold you’re head on this one game.’

 Redshirt Junior DL Khairi Clark
  
On breakdowns against the run: 

"I felt like today as a unit they just ran the ball all over us. They got it started and we couldn't stop it and I feel like that's not a part of what we do as a Gator football team."

On how demoralizing it is to be down 21 in the first quarter: 

"It sucks because we practiced this whole week and to come out and not execute what we practiced and have them run all over us is just embarrassing."

On if Georgia did anything they hadn't done on film: 

"They had some trick plays we hadn't seen on film, but at the same time it's all about playing our techniques and I feel like as a unit all of us didn't play to our ability." 

On if the McElwain news right before the game was deflating for the team:

"You've just got to keep the positive mindset, you've got to keep everybody into it. I feel, as a leader, the way I express and handle things is how the people are going to follow."

Senior DB Duke Dawson 

On what the breakdown was: 

"It was all mental. I wouldn't say it was physical, we just weren't mentally prepared on some things, so we've got to correct that come Monday."

On why there are mental breakdowns this far into the season: 

"We've got to come mentally prepared. We put in a lot of new stuff; just being locked in is one thing we have to do more. We have to be more consistent with that."

On Georgia’s performance as an overall team: 

"[It was] the same thing they were doing on film, [Georgia] did that tonight. They added new things to their offense and we just had to adjust and we had mental breakdowns."

On if the McElwain news right before the game deflated the team at all: 

"Nah."

On quick Georgia start: 

"We stayed composed as a defense, we stayed together. That's one thing with me, you all know I'm not really vocal, so that's one thing I did, I opened up to the guys and they listened to me. Just having somebody like that to be on them, it's always great to see. You see those guys buying in, everybody was buying in, everybody was locked in to what was going on."

No comments:

Post a Comment