Saturday, October 30, 2021

Post Game Quotes

Coach Kirby Smart

On today’s game and the win against Florida …

“There was great excitement, great energy. Our fans really impacted the game. They helped us get them for a few offsides. The turnovers were the difference in the game. We had a few, too, but theirs were in their territory, and that was probably the biggest difference in the game.”

On how well the running backs played today …

“They ran really tough. We are trying to get Kenny McIntosh back all the way healthy and Zamir White and James Cook took it over. They did a really good job with really physical runs. We did a good job upfront running the counter, and I am really proud of the way those guys played.”

On Stetson Bennett and his resiliency …

“He does a really good job on some plays, and then you are holding your breath when he holds the ball. He has to make good decisions down the field. We can’t give the ball away. When it is not there – we are pretty good on the next down, so let’s play for the next down and not worry about that play. Making good decisions can be helpful with that. His legs and mobility were a big part of the game plan and he made two really good plays with his feet.”

On Georgia’s defense and the sequence right before the half …

“That changed the game. That momentum right before the half was just huge. It is what our guys do – they are havoc guys that cause problems, frustrate the quarterback and try to find different ways to affect the quarterback. Those turnovers are so big.”

Stetson Bennett, Senior, Quarterback

On the defense performance to close out the half …

“The defense came out… We were struggling. We really didn’t play that great of a game offensively, the whole time. That starts with me, I didn’t play my best game at all. They came out, got us turnovers, and we capitalized on those turnovers. That’s what we had to do. Nakobe Dean getting that pick-six at the end was the icing on the cake, for the first half. It was a complete momentum change. It was 3-0, until that happened.”

Nolan Smith, Junior, Linebacker

On the defense performance to close out the half …

“It’s just momentum swings. Anyone could have done it. The Nakobe Dean pick-six was a momentum swing. When momentum goes the other way, guys feed off of each other. We always talk about connection. You feel it, and if you don’t see it on the sideline you would be absolutely absurd. I’m cheering the offense on when their up, and they are cheering us on. It’s all about connection and team comradery. Being together as one. We say, ‘One band, one sound.’ I was saying that before the game.”

On Stetson Bennett …

“Stetson Bennett. The Mailman. One thing about Stetson, he just works. He doesn’t listen to the noise. He’s a blue-collar guy. When you talk about trusting a guy, I trust him. He goes out there and works, puts his best foot forward every day. Even though it may not look pretty to y’all, he’s getting the job done.”

On the interception …

“This is my first game having an interception. That was really exciting for me.”

Coach Dan Mullen

Opening statement… 

“Obviously, a tough game for us against a very good football team. I give them a lot of credit. They have very talented players and they play with great effort. They take advantage of opportunities. They play really good team football and you have to give them a lot of credit. Looking at us right now, we’re not where we want to be. I’m certainly not where I want to be and our players certainly are not where they want to be at this point of the season. It’s a mindset right now that we have to go change. Football is a great team sport, the ultimate team sport. As the head coach, the mindset of the team falls on me… Where we’re at, the attitude, the approach and everything falls on me. Obviously, I know we’re two-thirds of the way through the season right now. I’m certainly not pleased with where we are and I know our players are not pleased with where we are. I know Gator Nation is not pleased with where we are with the standards and expectations within this program. But, in this final third of the season, that’s on me to get this fixed. The approach I take and mindset that we play with, that’s on me to get fixed and I certainly plan on doing that – on changing where we’re at right now with us, creating some positive energy and some confidence for us, and the expectations to feed off of each other. I’m going to work and make sure I get that right.” 

On the fans who are feeling the program isn’t going on the right trajectory… 

“Here’s the deal – as you start slipping and the rope is slipping, you go on a little rope pull. It really pertains to everything… It pertains to individual games. At times we play really well, and then the rope slips and we kind of let a lot of it go. Against good teams, you can’t do that. Offense, defense - The entire team has to grasp the rope. There are going to be ebbs and flows in the course of each game. As the rope slips throughout your hands, you can either let it drop, which isn’t the answer and won’t fix anything. Then, you’re going to feel that burn and you’re not going to squeeze as tight because of that burn, and that’s not going to fix anything. Or, you can just grab on tight, you hold on, you dig your heels in and you start pulling in the other direction. But a negative attitude or dropping the rope doesn’t fix anything. Grasping the rope does, holding on tight does, and squeezing as it’s burning does. I will say something about me – I don’t drop the rope. I’m not going to even let you rip it out of my hands. You can drag me around by my face if you want, but I’m going to squeeze it and I’m not going to let any inch of that rope go… And I know our players won’t either. For Gator Nation, we have one-third of the season left. Listen, this is not where I want to be right now. At 4-4, this is not where they want to be. But we still have one-third of this season left and we’ll see what we define ourselves by at the end of this season.”

No comments:

Post a Comment