Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Dawgs Speak To Media Following Practice

Travon Walker, Sophomore, Defensive Lineman

On competing this year and if they have gotten used to COVID-19 testing…

“So far, the coaches have gotten it to us. They told us we’re going to be tested a lot, so everybody just bought in and did what they need to do. When it comes to that situation, everybody is just doing what they’re told to do.”

On how good he thinks the defense can be…

“I think the sky is the limit for this defense. One thing we’ve really emphasized is our third and short. We need to get a lot better in our third and short game. Coach Smart has been preaching about that, and everybody is working to get better.”

On where he is at now physically compared to last season…

“Me, personally, I think I’ve gained a lot of strength from my freshman year, just from recovering from my two wrist injuries. I just think I’m coming off well from this, and the strength staff has done a great job pushing me and helping me develop my strength back.”

On what kind of advice he has given to the freshmen defensive linemen…

“One of my main things I’ve told the young guys, the freshmen rather, is just give it all they’ve got and always give everything you have. That way, nobody can tell you no, that you can’t be on the field with the ones or the twos or whoever.”

On what it is like coming in and competing as a five star without a guaranteed spot…

“Like you said, just knowing that I have to go out and work hard every day, knowing that somebody like me is in front of me. I have to go out every day and make few errors and step up my game. As long as I go out and step up my game, I don’t have to worry about what he’s doing, as long as I’m doing my job.”

On Jalen Carter…

“He’s showing a lot of great things right now. Like I said, the sky is the limit for him, also. He’s a very talented player who doesn’t have to be coached a lot because he came in already knowing a lot, so that says a lot about him just alone.”

Tyson Campbell, Junior, Defensive Back

On how he would describe his development throughout his first two years in the program/where he sees himself now as a player…

“I think I’ve matured so much as a player from coming here being young, not really knowing the defense. As the coaches developed us on defense, especially through experience through the game, I’ve been able to mentally — as far as getting my IQ better in football — and also becoming stronger faster, the whole nine yards of becoming a better athlete.”

On his turf toe injury and how he fought through it last season/how he is now…

“Last year was tough, but Mr. Ron Courson and his whole training staff have helped me and made sure that, if I was going to be on the field, I was 100 percent ready, and I thank them for that. Now, I’m pain-free and excited for the season coming up."

On the program’s 'Dawgs for Pups' initiative and why it is important for he and his teammates to help the community…

“Those kids are people who watch us on TV, and some of those kids look up to us and what we do at our university. So, we feel like, why not give back with something they’re in need of? Everybody needs an education, and they’re not as fortunate as other people are who can afford WiFi so they can do virtual learning with this pandemic going on. I feel like this initiative is very important.”

On the strengths he sees at the quarterback positions /what strengths he sees in JT Daniels and D’WanMathis…

“JT Daniels and D’Wan Mathis have been competing. Both have very strong arms. Both are very mobile. Both are very intelligent and know the offense. They’re both great quarterbacks, and I’m excited for us to have them on our team this year."

On whether knowing the secondary’s strength helps the defensive starters avoid complacency/acts as an incentive to fight for the starting spot week in and week out…

“Yes. The whole defense has a lot of depth. There’s talent all over the place, offensively and defensively. That’s what makes practice so competitive, and everybody is just getting better each and every day. You want to have guys behind you, pushing you. That’s the best part about playing at Georgia."

No comments:

Post a Comment