Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Dribble Dawgs Post Game Quotes

UGA Sports Communications

Coach Tom Crean

On the game... 

“We found a way to get into the bonus early in both halves. It was the 11-minute mark in the second half and 12:37 in the first half. The 10 extra free throw makes and the 13 extra free throw attempts were a huge part of the game. There was a lot of youth that came out tonight. We are working constantly to not over help on their dribble, and do a much better job of staying with our man. We have to become a more physical team and figure out ways to help us become that.”

On the difference... 

“I thought the lineup of Wheeler, Edwards, Brown, Gresham, and Crump was a huge component in this game. This isn’t a lineup that we play in practice much. We wanted to switch because they were putting a decision maker or a shooter in every time, and that’s just great offense.”

On the team... 

“We have so much to learn and we have so many young guys. That urgency that we have to have on both ends, and we found it towards the end. We just have to become a more physical team. We have to have a more physical mindset and demeanor. I’m glad we have numerous guys and there’s going to be lots of ways to win this year, and fortunately we found a way to win this one.”

Donnell Gresham

On the emphasis in practice of working on getting fast break bucket... 

“Getting the ball ahead is a big emphasis for us in practice. We are a fast team and can play really fast. I don’t think we did that to the best of our ability tonight, but I think as we keep playing together, we can do a better job.”

On the ways Edwards can impact the game, aside from scoring... 

“I think he impacts the game in a lot more ways than scoring, on defense especially. [He gets] deflections and steals. He does a great job rebounding and finds all of us open when passing and gets us open shots.”

On how he feels about the freshmen performing the way they are... 

“It makes me very happy. The young guys are stepping up. They are young but all very good players. Anthony Edwards, Sahvir Wheeler, Toumani Camara -- all the freshmen are really good and producing a lot for us.”

Anthony Edwards

On having fewer fouls this game... 

“I feel like we did a great job taking care of the ball. Sahvir came in, gave us a boost off the bench. Donnell Gresham and Rayshaun came in late in game and helped out. Everyone contributed to this win.”

On his excitement for a dunk... 

“Some of it, cause I got my uncle right here (Donnell Gresham) keeping my team in the game. He gets real quiet and just to himself. Most of the excitement I feel is my passion for the game. I just love it. I love what I do. Love my teammates. I love to see everybody happy.”

On if he looks up his numbers... 

“Like, they asked me in the locker room, why did I miss that last free throw? I told them all that matters is that we got the win. I don’t really care about having 29 or 28. I can get 30, numbers don’t really matter to me. I am going to miss free thows but that is on my end. I will make sure I get in the gym and work on my free throws for when it comes clutch time. It is okay with me as long as we got the win. That is all that matters. My team is happy so I am happy. We have a great coaching staff.”

On how dangerous is this team... 

“I feel like we are extremely dangerous. Like I said Donnell Gresham is an old man who can knock the three down. We got Tyree Crump who is a vet who can knock the three down. We got Sahvir Wheeler who is coming down dishing out. We got Rayhaun who can knock the corner down. Amanze can catch hoops. Everybody on the team can contribute in anyway possible.”

The Citadel Head Coach Duggar Baucom

On the difference down the stretch... 

“You’re playing against an NBA guy. He kind of takes the game over a little bit. We had him shut down in the block, and he kind of got out of the way, and it turned into a 3-point play. That gave him a little working margin. But I was really, really proud of our guys. They competed, got down 11 points, got back four, got down to 10, then got down to two. We had a lot of turnovers in the first half, but I think we cut down on a lot of those the second half. I thought our execution offensively was really good. We were shooting basically 50 percent, 43 percent from the three. That’s pretty good.”

On what led to The Citadel’s double-digit turnovers... 

“I think just SEC talent. We did some uncharacteristic things. Georgia doesn’t really get out and pressure you, but they’re long enough. They reach from behind. They do things that a lot teams don’t do. They gamble a lot. When they do, and we’re not ready for it, those turn into a lot of turnovers. We cut them down at the half, but turnovers did come back to bite us. I thought we executed offensively as good as we did in a really long time. Anything that we ran, we had a good shot at and made a lot of them.”

On Hayden Brown career high tonight... 

“Yeah, he did a little bit of everything. He had 26 points and six rebounds. You can’t mess with Sahvir Wheeler. Wheeler will pick your pocket, so we tried to eliminate that option. We don’t care who brings it up. We’re all guards basically, except for maybe Eddie Davis III. Hayden Brown bid on a couple nice set ups on some slips and made some threes. He was an absolute stud.”

No comments:

Post a Comment