Thursday, August 22, 2019

Dawgs Hold Mostly Indoor Practice Thursday

UGA Sports Communications

The third-ranked University of Georgia football team held a two-hour, mostly-indoor practice Thursday afternoon at the William Porter Payne and Porter Otis Payne Indoor Athletic Facility.

Following Thursday’s practice, select members of the Dawgs offense including Solomon Kindley, Lawrence Cager, and Prather Hudson met with members of the media.

Lawrence Cager, Graduate Student, Wide Receiver

On adjusting to the University of Georgia from Miami…

“I love it here. Obviously, it’s two different sides of totem pole, Miami and Athens, but I love Athens; it's a great place and the team welcomed me with open arms; Coach Smart welcomed me with open arms and I'm just happy to be here.”

On being in the receiver room the first few times…

“From a receiver room aspect, we came in with the mindset, myself, Tyler Simmons, all the receivers, especially me and Tyler being seniors, that it’s on us. Whether it’s making plays on the perimeter or special teams, as long as we have that mindset that it’s on us and we come with that mindset that it’s on us then we can attack every day like it’s a game.”

On looking at the receiver situation when deciding to come to Georgia…

“Honestly, I didn’t even look at the receiver situation, Coach James Coley and Coach Smart called me as soon as I put my name in the portal. I put my trust in those guys 10 times out of 10. Coach Coley when he coached me at Miami and Coach Smart recruiting me heavy when I was being recruited by Alabama, so I just trusted them and we’ll see how it goes.”

Prather Hudson, Redshirt-Sophomore, Tailback

On the competition in the backfield during the preparations for the season opener at Vanderbilt…

“It’s definitely RBU, for sure. We’ve got so many talented people from Zamir White, James Cook, Brian Herrien, everybody’s ballin’ for a spot for a chance to play on Saturday. Everybody’s making each other better each and every day and that's a competition right now.”

On making sure he’s on the bus come Saturday…

“Special teams is huge, obviously, that's how I get on the bus and that's how I'm going to play this year. I'm always willing to play running back but whenever my time comes, I'll be ready. If I shy away from competition now, there's no expectation that I can make it in the league if I do that now. This is the best of the best and this is how it's going to be in the league so I'll be prepared for that.”

On what the team is focusing on during practice now…
“You’ve got to get better at the little things. On special teams, you're getting the right depth in your drop backs, getting the right depth in your route running, just little things that make the difference in the game on game day. So that's kind of what we're focusing on right now.”

Solomon Kindley, Redshirt-Sophomore, Offensive Lineman

On the chemistry of the offensive line…

“That’s the number one thing that Coach Sam Pittman, and not only Coach Pittman but the team, is trying to do. If we have a good offensive line, we can beat anybody in the world. Our chemistry is coming along very, very solid, not just on the football field. We’re a brotherhood. We commit to looking out for each other on the field and off the field so that’s going to tie into the field so we can be the best that we can be.”

On looking at the Vanderbilt defense…

“Vanderbilt is one of the SEC teams that’s very slept on. They’re very fast, very smart, they try and scheme you in different ways where they can come in from a cat blitz or a marker blitz or stuff like that. We’ve got to pay attention to those type of things. … Vanderbilt will try and out-power you and be smarter than you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment