Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Dawgs Complete Seventh Practice

UGA Sports Communications
The Dawgs inched closer to the midway point of their spring regimen on Tuesday afternoon by conducting the seventh of 15 practices. The team worked out in shoulder pads and shorts for approximately two and a half hours.

Following the session, a pair of seniors – defensive tackle DaQuan Hawkins-Muckle and linebacker Juwan Taylor – discussed their hopes for more significant roles during the upcoming season.

Taylor saw action in all 15 games last season, including a start a Vanderbilt. He notched 13 tackles, with a TFL for -3 yards against the Commodores.

“I can earn a role right now in the Spring by how I practice and how I compete,” Taylor said. “For me, this Spring is like do or die. That’s how I’m taking every practice because this is my last year. This is my opportunity to showcase my talent. Previously, I didn’t have as much playing time. Mentally, it was tough. One thing about me; I’m a competitor. I tried not to let things phase me.”

Hawkins-Muckle started five of seven games played in 2016 before suffering a season-ending injury against Florida. He played in six games last season, headlined by a blocked field goal against Auburn in the SEC Championship game.

“I just feel like I need to push myself when there’s no one else to push me,” Hawkins-Muckle said. “It’s been a long ride, a long four years. I’ve enjoyed every moment of it. I’m just enjoying it for this last go around. I’m attacking things different than when I was a freshman. Having a coach like Kirby Smart here by my side, helping motivate me, I feel very confident going into the season.”

The Dawgs are slated to practice again on Thursday as they prepare for their G-Day game at Sanford Stadium on April 21 at 4 p.m. ESPN will televise the contest live. The Red team will face off versus the Black team and admission is free to the annual showdown. Prior to the G-Day matchup, lettermen from the program's past will square off in a flag football game beginning at 1:15 p.m. At halftime of G-Day, the Dawgs’ incoming class of 2018 signees will be introduced to fans.

With expected high demand and temporarily reduced seating due to the construction on the new West End Zone complex, the UGA Athletic Association will be implementing a pass system. Upon entrance, each fan will receive a commemorative pass with a seating section. The UGAAA asks that each fan sits in this section to help manage what is expected to be a near-capacity crowd. Gates 2-9 will be open as usual. However, Gate 10 (gate under the bridge next to the Tate Center) will be closed due to construction. To help reduce congestion and further improve ingress flow, please enter on the side of the stadium where each fan's preferred seating location would be. Additional pass/entry questions can be directed to facilitysupport@sports.uga.edu.

The Dawgs will begin their 2018 campaign with a home matchup against Austin Peay on Saturday, Sept. 1. Georgia will travel to Columbia, S.C., to open its Southeastern Conference schedule against South Carolina on Sept. 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment