Friday, August 25, 2017

Practice Report

UGA Sports Communications

The No. 15-ranked Dawgs utilized their new Indoor Athletic Facility for Thursday’s practice, a workout in full pads that lasted just under two hours.

Georgia will practice again on Friday and Saturday before their first gameweek workout of the fall next Monday. The Dawgs are preparing for their Sept. 2 opener against Appalachian State. On Thursday, offensive players visited with the media to discuss the day’s practice, the 21st of the preseason, and their prep toward the opener in nine days.

Terry Godwin
 (Photo by Steven Colquitt)
Junior wide receiver Terry Godwin was asked about the progress of quarterback Jacob Eason. A year ago, Eason started final 12 games of the season and passed for 2,430 yards and 16 touchdowns.

“I feel like he’s grown,” Godwin said. “He’s pretty much taking the offense by the horns and telling us what to do. He’s become that mature quarterback that we knew he would become. I feel like he’s gotten a lot better this year at commanding the offense.”

Godwin was also asked about head coach Kirby Smart’s recent compliments about his performance this fall.

A week ago, Smart said: “I tell you, when you go to practice, Terry Godwin, he’s like night and day to me to watch that kid. I was very honest last year about Terry playing tougher, playing bigger. The guy is blocking hard. He’s competing. He’s taking more reps. He’s such a better leader. I mean to see him grow up means the world to me, because I’ve seen that kid since his ninth grade year.”

Godwin said his focus is on continuing to develop as a player.

“To be honest, I haven’t heard any of it, but a lot of people have been telling me about it,” Godwin said. “You’ve just got to keep pushing and keep doing what you’re doing. It really doesn’t affect me because it’s just like a ‘good job’ or a tap on the butt to me. I just know I’m out there doing my best and doing what I can do to help the team.”

Junior tight end Jackson Harris discussed the depth at his position, which also features senior Jeb Blazevich and sophomores Isaac Nauta and Charlie Woerner. A year ago, that quartet caught 41 passes for 485 yards and four touchdowns.


“There’s no doubt this tight end group is very talented,” Harris said. “And the thing on top of that’s even crazier is that everyone is such a hard worker. We’re a group, and we completely support each other. Every day, we push each other that much more. I feel like that competitiveness is creating a unit that is going to be very, very good this year.’ 

No comments:

Post a Comment