Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Charles Will Turn Pro

FOOTBALL

DSC_8280University of Georgia junior tight end Orson Charles has decided to forego his senior season and enter the 2012 NFL Draft.

“I want to thank God, the University of Georgia, our coaches and the fans for building me up spiritually, mentally, physically and emotionally over the last three years,” said Charles. “The fans stuck with us through a rough season last year and through our struggles this season and our coaching staff provided me with the tools necessary to make it in football and in life. Either decision I made, I want to be able to look back at it and be happy with the choice I made and I think I will with this decision. It was difficult but not stressful to be in a situation where you can’t go wrong either way.”

Charles, a 6-3, 241-pound native of Tampa, Florida, finished the 2011 season with 45 catches for 574 yards and five touchdowns while starting all 14 games for the Southeastern Conference Eastern Division champion Dawgs. The AFCA First Team All-American highlighted his junior season by catching six balls for 109 yards and a touchdown versus #5 Boise State.

Charles, a Mackey Award finalist, completes his three-year career with the most yardage all-time for a Georgia tight end with 1,370 yards. He also tied with Leonard Pope (2003-05) for most touchdowns at the position with 10 and finished third interceptions (94).

No comments:

Post a Comment