Friday, January 4, 2013

Jones Declares For NFL

FOOTBALL

Jarvis JonesUniversity of Georgia junior outside linebacker Jarvis Jones has decided to forego his senior season and enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

A finalist for the 2013 Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, Butkus and Lott awards, Jones announced his intentions on Friday, just three days after leading the Dawgs to their 27th all-time bowl victory.

“This has been a difficult decision, and one that I have talked over with my family and coaches,” said Jones. “I want to thank my family, teammates, coaches and support staff and the Dawg Nation for everything over the last three years. I will always appreciate the chance Georgia gave me after my injury at Southern Cal. There is nothing like the Bulldog fans and I will forever be proud to wear the 'G'. I think this decision comes at the right time for me and my family and I look forward to seeing what the next level holds for me. Go Dawgs!”

A 6-3, 241-pound native of Columbus, Jones played in 26 games over his two seasons with Georgia, starting all of them. He finished his career with 28 sacks in that span (1.08/game), which is tied for third in school history. Jones also recorded 44 tackles for loss of 235 yards, 155 total tackles, nine forced fumbles and an interception during his time as a Dawg.

Jones, a 2012 consensus First Team All-American, finished this season leading the nation in sacks (14.5 for loss of 103 yards) and tackles for loss (24.5 for loss of 132 yards) and forced fumbles (seven). He was third on the Dawgs with 85 stops and added an interception and two fumble recoveries in 12 games played this season (Jones was injured for two of Georgia’s 14 games).

In his final game with the Dawgs, Jones set the single season record for sacks (14.5) after adding a pair versus Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl. He also took over the No. 1 ranking for tackles for loss in a season (24.5) with two against the Cornhuskers. Jones finished with eight tackles during Georgia’s 45-31 victory over Nebraska.

Jones joined the Dawgs as a scout team member in 2010 after transferring from Southern California. He was a consensus First Team All-American in 2011 after leading the SEC in sacks (13.5) and tackles for loss (19.5) and piling up 70 tackles in 14 games.

The 2013 NFL Draft will run from April 25-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment