Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tuesday Press Conference–Part 3

FOOTBALL

Coach Mark Richt and a delegation of football players addressed the media Tuesday during the Dawgs’ weekly press luncheon. They offered the following comments:

Jeremy Sulek

On the upcoming game…

“This week is a big game for us because we are wanting to get the first win of the season and get things back on track.”

On the fans…

“The intensity of our fans always helps get us up for the game. We get a little extra juice when we hear them get riled up. At the same time, we try not to rely on that all the time because we want it to be the other way around. We want to be the ones that give the fans something to cheer about.”

On going from walk on to playing time…

“It’s a great feeling. All that anyone can ask for is to put in the time and the work and hope to see the results. It’s been such a blessing and I hope that I am able to maximize on the opportunity that I have.”

Jon Jenkins

On the preparation for Coastal Carolina…

“We’re trying to get better. That is the only thing that we have been thinking about. We’re trying to work as a team on every aspect of the game – on special teams, offense and defense.”

On playing in his first SEC game…

“I was trying to be a student of the game and go out there and be dominant. South Carolina’s offensive line had some big guys, but I felt like I did my job, but there is always room for improvement.”

Michael Bennett

On getting his first catches…

“It felt good to get those first few catches, first touchdown. It was a really good game individually, I thought; but it doesn’t matter if we lose. I’ve still got a dirty taste in my mouth. It was good to get those first game catches.”

On his third down catch…

“I just ran a little slant route, got tipped and it just kind of stuck to me. It was kind of a quick reaction. I thought it was going to come up top, but it kind of sunk down low so I just snagged it real quick. I really didn’t think it was that hard of a catch, but I was watching it afterwards on ESPN and was like ‘It might have been kind of a cool catch, I guess.’ Coach Richt shouted me out in front of the team at practice yesterday and said it was a good catch, so that was a pretty cool moment too.”

On using several different receivers…

“We’ve rolled in different receivers a good bit. We didn’t do that at all last year. This year, with everyone that we have, we’ve got fresh legs all the time and it’s always going to be better like that. I feel like the receivers had a really good game, altogether. We all can play, we all can make plays, so it’s working out good.”

On the difference in the receiving corps between the first game and the second game…

“I really don’t know what it was. I feel like we always have the potential to make plays. At the Boise game, we did mess up a little bit, but I feel like in the South Carolina game, we just had this focus. In practice all week last week, we just had this determination that we were going to turn it around and I feel like if you really have a good week at practice then that game is going to be something special. That’s what we’re trying to do every week: practice like we’re going to play.”

Chris Burnette

On the offensive line’s size advantage over Coastal Carolina…

“I feel like Coastal, they may not be the biggest guys, but I feel like they have good quickness, good schemes and they really know what they’re doing as far as taking advantage of their speed. I feel like it would play to our advantage to run the ball, since we are a lot bigger. I feel like that’s probably going to be in the plans, for us to run the ball as much as possible.”

On Coastal Carolina’s size…

“There are some pretty good size guys on the defense, and on their roster in general, but the starters are a little smaller. From watching them on film, they play real fast.”

On the offensive line’s substitutions…

“We’re trying to get guys to be able to play more than one position, so we can switch in and out so guys won’t pass out or anything, especially with the no-huddle offense. We’re definitely trying to condition ourselves to be ready for the game, just in case we have to play every down.”

No comments:

Post a Comment