Monday, April 11, 2011

Phillips Drafted By San Antonio

BASKETBALL

Porsha Phillips, a consensus first-team All-SEC performer for the Lady Dawgs during the 2010-11 season, was drafted by the San Antonio Silver Stars in the third round of the WNBA Draft today.

Phillips, a 6-1, forward, was the No. 30 overall selection. She watched the show at her home in Stone Mountain, Georgia, with her parents, James and Lue, and her brother Jamil. Her other brothers, professional baseball players Brandon and P.J., also were on the phone with the family.

"It's a dream come true," Phillips said. "I was just trying to be patient, have faith in God that I would be drafted and just wanted my name to show up. I was so excited. I actually got a call from head coach Dan Hughes before my name was announced on TV and he said 'Welcome to the Silver Stars.'

"I think I had a good college career, especially as a senior, and it was a lot of hard work," Phillips added. "I still think I have room to grow as a player and I'm excited about that challenge."

Phillips led the SEC in both rebounding and free throw percentage during the 2010-11 campaign. She also became the first Georgia player to average a double-double (10.8 ppg, 10.7 rpg) in nearly a quarter-century, since Katrina McClain did so in 1986-87 en route to winning National Player of the Year honors. Phillips grabbed 365 rebounds as a senior, the fifth-best effort in Lady Dawg history.

"Playing basketball professionally is a goal Porsha worked very hard to achieve," Andy Landers said. "I'm happy and excited that she'll have the opportunity to play at the next level."

With Phillips' selection, 13 Lady Dawgs have been chosen in the last 11 editions of the WNBA Draft, including eight first-rounder's. Twenty-one Georgia players have gone on to play in the league since its inception in 1997, including six during the 2010 campaign. All told, 34 Lady Dawgs have played professionally either in the U.S., Asia, Europe or South America.

No comments:

Post a Comment